Tuesday 9 November 2010

Day 26 Favorite books

I loooove books. However, I seriously need motivation to open them these days. I think thats what happens when you do 3 English courses in your second year of college and then take on an English Degree (which I actually dropped out of because the 18th century tomes were too heavy going and I was ill / homesick).


Anywhoodle, (a few of) my favourite books are as follows:


The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton - I used to love these stories because they took you to another world. I used to imagine climbing the faraway tree and eating pop biscuits with Moonface. Also the human characters had amazing names; Jo, Bessie, Fanny and Dick. The last two were changed consistently on my placement by my class teacher which made me laugh. Richard and Frances would have sufficed but I think she completely made them up instead John and Susan (something like that anyway!). I read this book for the first time when I was about seven or eight years old and have read it about 10 times since. I think its hidden in a moving box now though!


The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood - My amazing English Lit A level tutor introduced us to this book. She was so passionate about it and the story had so much depth that we had no choice but to be sucked in. The characters are brilliant, as is the plot. The topics presented are quite sensitive and thought provoking i.e. slavery, using women as carriers for the rich folks babies and a particularly graphic sounding murder. Not lighthearted but enjoyable.


Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - I read this book whilst on holiday last year. I could barely put it down. The story centres around a troubled teenager whose love for his best friend is unrequited. This leads up to him going mental and commiting a heinous crime which only takes 19 minutes (if you've ever seen Bowling for Columbine you'll see some similarities between real and fictional worlds). It is a book written from many different perspectives (Each chapter is written from a different characters viewpoint) giving a deep understanding of the events that unfold.


I think thats probably enough now!

No comments:

Post a Comment