Monday 13 December 2010

A Post Dedicated to the Best Grandad There Ever Was

Grandad's funeral was beautiful. We started off at their house, which was weird because I kept expecting him to come down the stairs or sneak a cheeky biscuit. Cheeky because he was extremely diabetic and knew that my Grandma had alzeimer's and would never linger on telling him off.

The flowers started arriving. Ours was huge! It spelt Grandad and along with my Uncle and Dad's flowers it was in his favourite colours, yellow and blue. They were beautiful.

Grandad then arrived about 1.15 and our cars along with him. I was fine in the house because in some way it felt comforting to me. It had been the only constant in our ever changing lives, moving from place to place so it felt like a really big hug. As soon as I stepped outside and saw Grandad's coffin I burst into tears (then slid my way to our car since it was really snowy / icy). Uncle Gary later told us that the dog who usually went crazy, over the road for my Grandad was in character and nearly knocked the blinds down which he would have found hilarious. 

Once we got there, there was a sea of faces peering at us. At any other time we might have felt glamourous but I was so happy to see that all of those people loved my Grandad. My Dad and Uncle Gary helped carry Grandad into the crematorium. It was very sad but being over 6 foot and the other coffin bearers being about my height it was a bit of a struggle to keep Grandad level.

We followed on with at least 30 members of my Grandad's choir singing us in with "Music" (was my first love). It was truly beautiful and apt for the occassion. I won't lie. I was a mess. I could only sing the last hymn because my eyes were filled up with tears for the rest of the ceremony.

Dad and Uncle G decided they were too upset to speak a few words about my Grandad but the priest did an awesome job of capturing his spirit. He was well respected and popular judging from how many people turned up. He used to say that he'd be able to fit everyone who would come to his funeral in a phone box when in actuality we had diffculty finding everyone a seat.

Grandad loved singing and was a natural baratone. His favourite to sing us was Sinatra and he loved a right old karaoke. He loved his family especially his kids and grandchildren. He'd rave about us to anyone who would listen. He liked to do crosswords in the Sunday paper and wind up my Grandma constantly. Towards the end he loved a good kip on the sofa and hiding the remote from us so he could still listen to his programmes. He used to end every telephone conversation with a kissing and cuddling sound "eeeeeeeee, mmmmmwah" and start with "have you been crying for your Grandad?"

The choir sang us out as well as singing the saddest hymms ever i.e. "O Abide With Me" if you're curious. 

Then we went to the last pub I ever went to with my Grandad (he fell asleep there too) for nibbles. 

It was a perfect way of saying goodbye. After it all I felt exhausted and had a good sleep. 

We heard this song on the way back home and I said "that was for Grandad".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avU2aarQUiU




(only a link because it's official and they have taken away the embed function)

No comments:

Post a Comment